Unfortunately, bees are in grave danger of extinction. While pollinating, these beautiful insects have been exposed to different agrochemicals that have led to Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), bringing their numbers down scarily low. Luckily, there are simple actions every one of us can do to help them.
Why are bees helpful to the planet?
Bees are much more than tiny flying insects; they have a fundamental function in the planet’s ecosystems; pollination.
They are in charge of pollinating vegetables in plots close to their hives so later, other pollinators, such as birds, bats, or other species, transport the pollen they collect from those flowers to fertilize the plants. Bees have benefited plants, ecosystems, people, and the world for centuries, contributing to food security and nutrition.
Why does planting flowers help bees?
Simple, they’ll have more places to do their work! With the growth of cities, constructions, and fewer green spaces to plant flowers, bees now have limited places to do their job.
These are some of the actions you can do to help preserve bees and other pollinators:
- Plant nectar-bearing flowers, such as marigolds or sunflowers for decorative purposes on balconies, terraces, and gardens.
- Buy honey and other beehive products from your nearest local beekeeper.
- Make children and even your friends aware of the importance of bees and express your support to local beekeepers.
- Cut grass in your garden only when nectar plants have finished flowering.
- Use pesticides that won’t harm the bees and only spray them when there’s no wind, either early in the morning or at night when bees leave the flowers.
- Tip: If you do not have space in your house r live in a very small apartment, you can look for some community space. Let’s offer more flowering plants to bees!
Did you know?
Capréa stemmed from a conscious effort to transmit our interest in nature and the outdoors. Our boxes are 100% plantable boxes. Embedded with flower seeds, each box is an ode to Mother Nature, turning everyone into wild gardeners… and saving bees in the process.
Just soak your boxes in water for a few minutes and then tear them up into small pieces. Then plant in your favorite place and water regularly. You’ll watch flowers grow in no time!
*Only available for the Plus & Essentials range
Featured image by Pexels
Leave a comment